Fully commissioned by March 31, 2011, the 62.1 MW Glen Dhu Wind Farm is operational and at present, is the largest wind farm in Nova Scotia. The Wind Farm produces enough power for approximately 18,000 homes and has a signed Power Purchase Agreement for 20 years with Nova Scotia Power Inc.
The Glen Dhu project consists of a total of 27 ENERCON E-82, 2.3MW wind turbines. Shear Wind owns 51% of Glen Dhu Wind Energy Limited Partnership and Inveravante Inversiones Universales, S.L., through Genera Avante Holdings Canada Inc., owns 49%.
- Land base: 6,000 acres East of New Glasgow, N.S. Average elevation is 250m.
- Potential Wind Farm Size: A total of 230 MW
- Wind monitoring data indicates an above average wind resource. Wind Resource Assessment completed indicating excellent results for capacity, long term projections, and potential electricity generation.
- Three monitoring towers continue to collect wind data for future expansion.
- Transmission Lines transect the project area with confirmed availability for expansion.
- Potential Phase II and Phase III are in planning and development stages.